23 Aug A primer on Cuban sandwiches in honor of the dish’s national day
Orlando Sentinel Food Reporter
Ahhh, the Cuban sandwich. Such a simple ‘wich on paper, but it’s easy to go off the rails. Keep it to the traditional ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard in pressed Cuban bread, and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal.
Here’s where to grab one in Central Florida:
- $8 at Black Bean Deli, 1835 E. Colonial Drive in Orlando; 407-203-0922; BlackBeanDeli.com
- $6.49 at Cafe Pinar, 730 Sandlake Drive in Orlando; 407-888-9889; CafePinar.com
- $6.49 at Cuban American Cafe, 135 W. Central Blvd. in Orlando; 407-839-3810
- $5.25-$6.25 at Cubans on the Run, 2956 S. US Highway 17/92, Casselberry; 407-339-2272; CubansOnTherun.com
- $8.80 at Los Autenticos Cuban Cafe, 7339 E. Colonial Drive, Suite 1, in Orlando; 407-282-2322; CubanCafeOnline.com
- $8 at Padrino’s, 13586 Village Park Drive, No. 304, Orlando; 407-251-5107; Padrinos.com
- $9 at Plancha for National Cuban Sandwich Day. This restaurant is on the Four Seasons Resort Orlando property, 10100 Dream Tree Blvd. in Lake Buena Vista; FourSeasons.com/orlando/dining/restaurants/plancha
- $6.50-$8.99 (depending on location) at Old Cuban Cafe, find a spot near you at OldCubanCafeinOrlando.com
- $9.50 at Zaza New Cuban Diner, find a location near you at ZazaCubanDiner.com.